Monday, January 14, 2013

Each of Us is Ordinary, Yet One of a Kind


 
I was thinking (again) about how wonderful dailymile is for me. It's a place where I can come to blab on about my workouts, primarily cycling, without driving those near and dear to me crazy with more talk of cycling. As my online victims, you can choose to ignore my posts if you'd like. No harm, no foul.

But more importantly, I was thinking about how much encouragement, motivation and help I get here. Often that comes from comments made to my posts. But many other times, it comes from reading your posts and the amazing things you have achieved, are achieving on a regular basis or are working to achieve.

It's also worth noting that inspiration doesn't only come from the longest workouts or the fastest times. (Although those can be pretty amazing!) Often times I get inspired by someone who managed to get their first 2 mile run done. Or a cyclist who got a new PR with their 20 mile ride. Or the swimmer who managed their first 200 meter swim without stopping.

We are all at different places with our respective physical activities. We all have different goals and expectations from our workouts. We all have different challenges as they relate to our workouts. We all have a different mental make-up. Essentially, we are each one of a kind.

At the same time, we all know what it's like to have road blocks put in front of us. We can all identify with the amazing feeling it is to set a new PR. We all know how difficult it can be to balance life's responsibilities of family, work and personal fulfillment. The differences between us in terms of our chosen sport or activities, ages, gender and abilities is nothing compared to what we share in terms of achieving our goals in these endeavors. Essentially, each of us is pretty ordinary.

Recognizing how much we share with others promotes compassion, humility and respect for one another. Recognizing our uniqueness promotes pride, self-development and achievement. Thanks for being there.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about DailyMile! I joke with my sister that it's the only place I can always count on encouragement from anymore...it doesn't matter if I rode a 3 hour cycling century or just ate 2 dozen wings and 4 beers in under an hour, I'm sure to get a solid encouragement...a "hey, great ride!" or a "it's ok, you'll do better next time!"...but it's always encouraging, never a bad vibe from the DM Community!

    ReplyDelete